clothes

So here are the two lounge pants I made myself.  I made them in size 28, since that’s the measurements I seem to have.  But are crazy loose.  I added some length, as the last pants ended up capris because of shrinkage.

20150224-094844.jpg20150224-094814.jpg20150224-094747.jpg

20150224-094942.jpg20150224-094917.jpg20150224-094902.jpg

The grey are boring, but they are way more comfy!!!  Great feel to the fabric and a lighter weight.

 

 

 

Other Craft Projects:

So I made myself some plus sized lounge pants in this lizard print fabric.  My foster daughter kept saying how I should make her a pair.  I finally checked the remaining fabric and I had just enough to make her a pair.  Not sure of the pattern I used here.  I’ll come back and update to tell everyone.

ETA: Size 8 and 6 Simplicity New Look 6237

20150221-092702.jpg Here I’m pinning and cutting out.

20150221-092849.jpg  Here the two legs are serged and ready to be put one inside the other, right sides together.

20150221-092910.jpgHere I’m serging the legs together at the groin seam.  Well, getting ready to serge anyway.

20150221-092919.jpgHere the pants are looking like real pants!  This is before putting in the elastic and hemming the legs.

20150221-092930.jpgI created a casing for the elastic, here I’m inserting it.

20150221-092943.jpgHere they are finished! Ignore the sew messy background! 😀

 

Start to finish it took 45 mins to do these pants.  I made some shorts using the same patterns.  Also took 45 mins (extra time pinning the legs out of the way – I’m too cheap to cut them in case I want to use them again).

 

skullshorts

Those came out good considering I didn’t put a lot of effort into making sure the hem was even.  These are for pjs so I wasn’t that precise.

I made two other pairs of pants from the same pattern. Here’s attempt number one:

whoopssewing

Whoops! Little error there.  Can you see my mistake?  Hearts would have been upside down! LOL not my best move but glad I caught it before I started cutting!

 

Here are the two other finished versions:

10930846_10153033341414854_1913115416076063592_n 10993072_10153031340779854_232379731855770092_n

 

Here is a flannel pair of pants using the same pattern.

20150226-195926.jpg

 

Here’s a pair of owl pants!

 

20150226-195946.jpg

 

And some smiles to brighten any day!

20150226-195955.jpg

Other Craft Projects:

A review of Simplicity Pattern 1622

This pattern is part of the Khaliah Ali collection, a plus-sized collection that I’ve made patterns from before.  I chose to make the pants because I’m still on this quest to find/make pants that fit well.  Not perfectly, just well.

As I explained Here and Here I’m a size 20 in the stores.  But in patterns I made previously the 20 didn’t fit, and the 24 was pretty tight.  I broke down and pulled out a tape measure (actually bought a tape measure, then pulled it out!), and it turns out according to Simplicity, I’m a 28…the max size they make.  Talk about devastated.  I spent several days in a funk.  The day I bought the pattern and Jo-ann’s, I also bought some fabric that was “outside my comfort zone.”  When I got home I just felt like it wasn’t fabric that I “loved.” So between the two, the pair of pants was slow to get going.

Here is a picture of me laying out the pattern piece on the fabric:

 

Laying out Pattern

 

And here is the fabric on the serger:

On the Serger

 

You can see it has it’s drawbacks.  It has an optical illusion effect when it moves.  Not great for avoiding attention to the rear end!

 

Here is a picture of the seams lining up:

Lining up Seams

 

I didn’t put a lot of effort into hemming.  In fact, the pants were finished except for hemming for 6 weeks before I touched them again. And then it was just to get it over with, and move on to a new pair of pants.

 

I used the “blindhem stitch” but did it wrong:

 

Not thinking clearly

But don’t care, since I am starting to hate these pants.  Keep in mind I paid like $10/yard and got 4 yards.  So huge waste of money.  Plus the pattern which I only got for 40% discount.

 

Here’s the finished product:

Finished!

 

 

In the end there are several issues.

1-    The waist is TOO HIGH.  I have to roll the waistband down three times to get the waist to a reasonable height.

2-    The crotch is too low if I don’t hike up the pants (causing the waist to be too high, see above).

3-    The legs are too short with the crotch in the proper location.

 

Unfortunately I didn’t wear them before I tried another pair of pants from the same pattern.  I would have known to alter the waist and leg length.

But I went back to the drawing board and started with a knit fabric.

Here are the pattern pieces being cut out (ignore the boxes in the background, still unpacking from the move):

Laying out Pattern

 

And here they are cut out:

Cut Out

 

Here I’m matching up the front seam:

 

Matching Up Seams

And here I’m hemming the pants.  I used the serger, then rolled the edge under, then rolled it under again.

Hemming and Hawing

 

Here is the finished product:

Finished

 

I love these pants.  There are still the same issues as the other pants.  They are too short when I pull them up to where the crotch should go…and then waist is too high.  The pant legs are flared a bit, it seams to me, which I’m not sure how I feel about.

 

I’ve been using these pants as PJ bottoms, lounge pants, etc. And they are perfect for the task.  The other pair I wore to work and was self-conscious the whole day.  I might wear them around the house for lounging as well, but over all it was a waist of fabric and money.  The fabric is this silky polyester.  Not a great choice for pants, but I was looking for something that would flow nicely with the little bit of flare.

 

In the end I plan on making one more attempt with this pattern.  I’m going to lower the waist and lengthen the leg.  I’ll post the results here as well.

 

Other Craft Projects: