car trash bag

I saw a blog post somewhere where the crafter made a car trash bag for her father for father’s day.  (If you find the link, put it in the comments and I’ll link to her blog.)  The original blog escapes me, but I’ve been mulling the concept over for weeks.  Basically the concept is simple, take a butter tub, cut out the bottom, sew a tube, throw on some ties, and put the tub inside the tube to hold your baggies.

 

20150307-162603.jpg

 

So here is a coolwhip tub (because I can’t find a butter tub), and my heavy duty scissors, because if I used my fabric scissors well, I’d have to put myself in time out.  And there is sewing to be done!

Here I’ve picked out two complimentary fabrics.  Unfortunately these were a door prize.  I thought they would be fat quarters, but they are skinny quarters! 😀  So I checked to make sure the cool whip tub would work with the width of the fabric and it did (foreshadowing).

20150307-162621.jpg

Here’s the coolwhip tub cut into a rim for my trash bag.

20150307-162633.jpg

Here I am serging the seams of the main fabric.  I simply zoomed up one side and down the other.

20150307-162645.jpg

Here’s where Donna starts to go off the rails.  I added this and it was completely useless.  What is it?  Well, I used a bit of the band/ties fabric to make a little lip inside the tube, to hold the coolwhip tub.  It was a good idea in theory (not).

20150307-162654.jpg

Below I’m eyeballing where to put the band described above.

20150307-162706.jpg

Here I am sewing the band on.

20150307-162720.jpg

Here I am testing it out, with the bag inside out. Works great! (Cough, Cough!)

20150307-162730.jpg

Here I am pressing the band I made with the contrast fabric.  It is the length of the fat quarter.

20150307-162747.jpg

And here is the results.  What I managed to avoid taking a picture of is that the cool whip rim is FOLDED.  It’s so tight I had to bed the coolwhip tub (not easy) to get it inside the main fabric.

20150307-162759.jpg

Also, I have a tuck in the center front of the band.  Can’t see it in either picture.

20150307-162815.jpgHere’s the finished Product.  There is no way it will come out and allow me to put a plastic baggie and rubber band around it.  I’m on the lookout for a butter tub now.  When I checked for the width, I didn’t take into account BOTH seam allowances on both sides.  On the serger (so deeper seam allowances).  I’m pretty annoyed with myself.  But it was free fabric, and a free coolwhip tub (thanks, Mom!), so nothing lost, really.  And I learned a valuable lesson.  When copying other people’s blog posts, pay attention to the instructions next time!

 

Other Craft Projects: