Woodworking

I probably haven’t mentioned we have some land with a cabin on it down south of us. It’s about 45 minutes away.  We wanted land to mountain bike on, grow bamboo on, and otherwise just relax.

Relaxing by campfire

We love camping, so the fact that this place didn’t have a toilet or shower wasn’t an immediate deterrent. Here’s my husband digging the outhouse hole:

Has to be 6 ft deep

 

 

I’ve worked on a couple of projects down there. One I’m pretty proud of is the loft bed in my son’s room.  Literally the room was wide enough just for the bed to fit.  So I used the walls as the support! It holds him perfectly. Here’s some pictures of the process.

Small bedroom also used to store bikes.

This is the before picture.  Notice how narrow the room is. This became an advantage!

Putting up the supports

The picture to the right shows how we bolted the supports directly to the studs in the wall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lip for the bed slats to rest on

Not sure if you can see in this picture, but there is a small lip of wood at the bottom of the support where the bunk slats rest on.

Bed assembled.

I didn’t take pictures of the process of putting the front on. Hubby had to help me by holding one end up, so there was no one to take pictures.  See how there is still storage for mountain bikes?

So my son doesn’t roll out, railings going up.

Here we are putting up the railing.

Railing Finished

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here is the final product:

All done!

Look at all the crap that collected under there already!

Other Craft Projects:

Finished – Quilts at Home

One of my hobbies is woodworking. Yeah, I know. Like I need ANOTHER hobby.  But I love all things creative, and woodworking is a great outlet.  My husband bought me a book for Christmas last year (and a Lowes gift card!) which was all the motivation I needed to fulfill a fantasy of mine.  A blanket chest to hold all my quilts!  Above are quilts from my ex-grandmother-in-law.  They are hand quilted and are very special to our family. I’m proud to house them in my new quilt chest.

Now before I start showing the pix of the process. I’ll answer the nagging question. Yes, I put polyurethane on the chest. Inside and out.  I know, I know. Lots of debate about the best way to store quilts against wood. I understand that.  This was my decision and I made the best one I could given the choices I had.  So don’t follow my example if you are storing heirloom quilts.  Go read up on the debate if you need more info.  That’s all I’ll say about that here.

Anyhoo – here are the pix of the process. I wish I took more pictures in the beginning.

The earliest picture of it in progress.

Notice the messy garage, and the tell tale Bug headlight?  Yeah, my other hobby is restoring that beast.  I’ll post about replacing the starter someday.

Putting the legs on

Putting the side pieces on

End pieces

Here the Lid is being Glued Together

 

This is where the long pieces on the side were added on. They are screwed on from the inside out so you can’t see the screws.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Doing the same thing here for the end horizontal pieces. Notice how messy the garage is?  I don’t just sew messy, I woodwork messy, too!

 

 

 

 

 

 

The top is a selection of 1×3 inch pieces of wood glued along their long thin edge together to make a large flat surface. I could have purchased a solid piece, or really it’s a piece that is glued together just like I did, but neater.  In the end this was cheaper and went along with the directions in the book.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Staining

Here I’m staining the chest. I chose a Cherry stain which matched the stain I used on my end tables previously in 2013.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And finally:

Here it is finished. We use it as a coffee table, too.

 

 

Oh, did I mention that my little Chihuahua, Ping, likes to jump up on it? She’s chasing her ball there.

 

 

 

 

 

And here’s the other use for it. It props up the cat.

Kitty Perch

 

Well, NOT a tutorial, just sharing my journey. It was a learning experience.  The measurements in the book were wrong a couple of times and I had to run back to Lowes Home Improvement (Not to be confused with Lowes Foods) to get more wood.  In the end there are some issues.  I spilled wood glue in a lot of places and it shows up under the stain.  Some gaps are really noticeable on the mitered edges. Luckily the lid is closed most of the time and you can’t tell. 😀

I finished this several months ago…probably took me 9 months total to build, working on it randomly when the mood struck and it was warm enough in the garage.  Before you go asking, my husband helped me carry it inside, and that was it. He’s not handy AT ALL. This was all me, and I’m quite proud of it.  So ladies, feel free to ask for power tools for Christmas like I did.  You’ll surprise yourself at what you build!

 

 

Other Craft Projects: