House

I was beginning to feel cramped so I moved a couple of machines and cabinets around. This opened up more floor space to lay out quilts and patterns. Here are some pix, notice the mess everywhere:

20150526-214656.jpgIt looks more crowded than it feels.  Definitely cluttered. I need to work on that.

20150526-214706.jpgGot all that floor space back, but what a mess.

20150526-214717.jpgHere’s a pile of all the scraps I found on the floor under the cabinets I moved.  Pretty indicative of what a sewing slob I am.

Other Craft Projects:

We are settling in to the new place, finally!  I took what should have been the master bedroom, and made it my sewing room (aka the sewing palace).  The room is HUGE, first of all.  Second, it has this HUGE closet.  Third, it has built in book cases. And fourth and finally…it has a gas log fireplace! J’adore.  The closet has built in shelving as well.  So much shelving, all my many books were able to fit.

I’m wiped out from the last two weeks of moving and unpacking, so I’m just going to post the pix here without too much concern for layout.  I’ll fix it later.

Inside the closet, the builtin shelves and some I brought from the old house.

This is the fireplace and the builtin shelves next to it.

I’ve created this U shaped desk arrangement

Kitty doesn’t let me get any work done here either.

 

 

Other Craft Projects:

I probably haven’t mentioned we have some land with a cabin on it down south of us. It’s about 45 minutes away.  We wanted land to mountain bike on, grow bamboo on, and otherwise just relax.

Relaxing by campfire

We love camping, so the fact that this place didn’t have a toilet or shower wasn’t an immediate deterrent. Here’s my husband digging the outhouse hole:

Has to be 6 ft deep

 

 

I’ve worked on a couple of projects down there. One I’m pretty proud of is the loft bed in my son’s room.  Literally the room was wide enough just for the bed to fit.  So I used the walls as the support! It holds him perfectly. Here’s some pictures of the process.

Small bedroom also used to store bikes.

This is the before picture.  Notice how narrow the room is. This became an advantage!

Putting up the supports

The picture to the right shows how we bolted the supports directly to the studs in the wall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lip for the bed slats to rest on

Not sure if you can see in this picture, but there is a small lip of wood at the bottom of the support where the bunk slats rest on.

Bed assembled.

I didn’t take pictures of the process of putting the front on. Hubby had to help me by holding one end up, so there was no one to take pictures.  See how there is still storage for mountain bikes?

So my son doesn’t roll out, railings going up.

Here we are putting up the railing.

Railing Finished

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here is the final product:

All done!

Look at all the crap that collected under there already!

Other Craft Projects:

But I’ve fallen in love with a house that is in complete disrepair. It’s two blocks from the main intersection of this cute little sleepy town about 30 mins from where I live. Population 5,000. The house is dirt cheap because it’s falling in on itself. But I’m madly in love with it. We’ve considered buying it and blogging our progress of fixing it up (which sounds fun if not exhausting). But the financing we thought would be available to help with repairs (203k), apparently doesn’t apply to this house. I’m not sure why…except that it might be too far gone. I realize this isn’t a restoration or renovation blog, and this is woefully off topic. However, it falls in line with my wondering about the rest of my life and what to do with it. Could we fix up this place and I could run a little sewing machine repair business out of the front? A small quilt shop? It’s big enough that I could buy a long arm quilter and set up my business of long-arm quilting. It also falls into the category of major projects I take on and then probably never finish!
There is so much wrong with the house, I don’t even know where to begin. There is a leak in the ceiling (though not the roof) which has brought down the plaster on two floors. There are creatures living in the attic. There are lots of rotten boards on the exterior. The basement is a disaster. Parts of the house that were added on later are tilted seriously. The stairs will have to be completely rebuilt. The kitchen would need completely overhauling. I just can’t even think of everything. Anyway – here are the pictures, look for yourself.


Other Craft Projects: