I was having trouble finding clothes that fit well, when it dawned on me that the answer was right in front of me. Well, when I was sitting at my sewing machine.

Making my own clothes would eliminate the issue I was having. Or so I thought.  The problem I was having is that being plus-sized, I’m struggling to find consistently sized clothes in fashionable designs.  A size 20 at Target is not the same as a size 20 at Dress Barn, for example.  I’m usually pretty happy with a size 20 or even a size 22 in most designs.  But the designs for “big girls” really suck most of the time.  I just want some pants, some shorts, a couple shirts.  Nothing really fancy.  I’d like to NOT have sequins, thank you.  You think a couple sequins are gonna distract from my fat rump?  If only!

So a couple of options appealed to me.  A) try out some patterns from the big pattern makers  or B) take apart something that already fits and make my own patterns.  I decided to try both.  Today I’m posting about my experience with a store-bought pattern.

I bought Buttericks 3039 Fast and Easy series pattern.  They only had the 16w, 18w, 20w Size, so that’s what I took home.  Part of this experiment is discovering if the sizing is any more consistent than stores/designers.  Probably not, but here’s hoping.

I won’t give a step by step of the process…as that would be a tutorial and I’d likely get sued.  But I will show you some of the pictures and offer commentary on the pattern itself.

 

 

 

The pattern is super easy – just three pieces. I started at about 5pm and finished about 8:30 pm. Most of that time was actually ironing the pattern!  I chose to use a serger on my seams as I have one and like to find excuses to use it.  Also, I happen to think they do make sturdier seams, and it saves you from having to reinforce stitching in the crotch or other places.

 

 

 

 

I did used the sewing machine for finer seams such as those right near the pockets, hemming the legs and creating the casing for the elastic.

So here they are, in all their purple glory:

And the verdict?  They barely fit.  The pocket seams are stretched so tight I’m afraid to sit down.  So a size 20 in Butterick is too small for me.  I’m pretty bummed.  I picked up the fabric at Hancock’s for 50% off…2 and 5/8ths yards is all you need, but I just rounded up and got 3 yards.  That was 13.47.  The elastic was 2.49 and I only used half.  The matching thread was 2.99 but I used so little of it I can hardly say I made a dent in the spool.  So, around 19.00 for capri pants. Oh, the pattern – was on sale for 1.99.  So…$21.00.  I’ll have to find someone who these do fit so they don’t go to waste.  Or I could lose weight.  Bwahahahaha!  Yeah, Right!

 

Other Craft Projects:

2 Responses to Plus sized capri pants

  • Pingback: A Tale Of Two Pants | Sew Messy

  • Dee says:

    Oh s*** and a few other choice words – I have done this and it can feel so bad. Still if you feel moved to try again, there is an answer with patterns that does not exist in the shops. Explore the packaging carefully before you buy and you will find that they will tell you what the measurements are for a size whoever it is. So take your bust waist hips etc. write them down and choose not from the size but from the measurements. Now you find the next frustration – it can be ludicrously difficult to find ‘plus size’ patterns. There are ways to alter pattern sizings but I would not presume to tell you how – I get it wrong too often!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *